The National Retail Association, Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation, Australian Institute of Packaging, and the Australian food and Grocery Council are working in collaboration on the Federal Government’s Australasian Recycling Label (ARL).
In May 2023, the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO) will be launching a new packaging platform on the ARL Marketplace: www.arlmarketplace.org.au
The purpose of the ARL Marketplace is to provide a simple sourcing solution that connects businesses with packaging formats that are ready to label with the Australasian Recycling Label (ARL). The packaging will be listed from a community of accredited packaging vendors.
For many businesses, this is a new commercial opportunity for packaging manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and labellers that may be of interest to your business or organisation.
The ARL Marketplace is part of the ARL Program, a new initiative to help more businesses adopt the ARL on their packaging.
The ARL Marketplace will be a new way for packaging manufacturers to:
- Reach more SME customers
- Be recognised in campaign marketing and communications as an accredited supplier of packaging that’s ready to label with the ARL
- Simplify the PREP assessment experience with new streamlined product groupings.
Program activity and timings
- February 2023: Throughout February, APCO will be conducting a pilot project with a sample of representative manufacturers and labellers to test technology and user experience for vendors and businesses
- April 2023: Applications will open to all Australian packaging manufacturers and labellers to start the vendor accreditation process. More in-depth information about the accreditation process will be available in early 2023
- May 2023: Sourcing functionality goes live.
In addition to its sourcing platform, the ARL Marketplace has also been designed as an educational hub for SMEs. Resources include:
- Free training modules from the Australian Institute of Packaging, Australia’s leading packaging training body.
- The Packaging Impact Calculator to help SMEs understand the environmental impacts of packaging design decisions.
- A range of informative fact sheets, animations, and resource toolkits.
Expression of interest
The SME ARL Program is inviting Expressions of Interest (EOI) from Australian packaging manufacturers distributors, wholesalers and labellers to become accredited vendors on the ARL Marketplace. Invitations to become an accredited vendor will open in April 2023. Businesses are invited to register their interest now to receive updates and the application form.
To register your interest in becoming an accredited vendor, please complete this Expression of Interest form
If you would like to talk to someone about how your business can be involved, please click on the ‘request a call back’ option or contact the National Retail Association’s ARL hotline on 1800 571 146.
Updates on the ARL
In addition to the ARL Marketplace resource, if you are keen to upskill your team on important sustainability issues in 2023, a free resource is available to you. The Australian Institute of Packaging – Australasia’s leading packaging training body – has developed a new sustainable packaging training series for SMEs. Please feel free to access this new module on the Australasian Recycling Label.
Each week, the National Retail Association runs free information and discussion sessions specifically on the Australasian Recycling Label (ARL). Registrations are free and available to everyone. The weekly sessions provide a brief overview of the ARL program, how the ARL benefits business and consumers and dicusses the process, barriers and addresses any questions you may have. To register for a free ARL session, please visit this link.
The NRA are also able to provide specific ARL briefing sessions to your team. Should you wish to go to a group ARL session, please contact the NRA Sustainability Team at [email protected]