The Northern Territory Government has released its single-use plastics discussion paper and is calling for industry input and submissions.
The following items are being considered for phase-out:
- Plastic bags (heavy weight)
- Plastic straws
- Plastic utensils and stirrers
- Plastic bowls and plates
- Expanded polystyrene (EPS) consumer food containers
- EPS consumer goods packaging (loose fill and moulded)
- Microbeads in personal health care products
- Helium balloon (releases)
It is our understanding that the ban would come into effect by 2025 or earlier, depending on industry and community feedback.
Have your say:
We encourage all impacted retailers and suppliers to provide insight and feedback via the online survey or via formal submissions.
More information: https://haveyoursay.nt.gov.au/single-use-plastics
The survey and submissions close Friday 14 April 2023.