Eligible employers could receive payments of up to $10,400 over a year for each eligible additional employee they hire as part of the Government’s JobMaker Hiring Credit scheme.
Young people have been disproportionally affected by COVID-19. The JobMaker Hiring Credit is giving businesses and young people impacted by COVID-19 a helping hand.
Eligible employers can receive payments for each eligible additional employee they hire between 7 October 2020 and 6 October 2021 of:
- up to $10,400 over a year for each one aged 16 to 29; and
- up to $5,200 over a year for each one aged 30 to 35.
ATO Deputy Commissioner James O’Halloran said eligible employers can start claiming payments in arrears every three months from 1 February 2021 for up to 12 months for each additional eligible employee.
“The ATO is here to support employers access the Government’s JobMaker Hiring Credit. If business owners need help, they should check out the range of resources available on our website, or speak to their registered tax or BAS agent,” said Mr O’Halloran.
“I encourage business owners to check their eligibility by visiting www.ato.gov.au/JobMakerHiringCredit. Employers only need to complete three simple steps to receive the JobMaker Hiring Credit payments.”
Eligible employers need to:
- register using ATO online services, Online services for business or the Business portal, or through a registered tax or BAS agent
- nominate their eligible new employees by having your employees complete a JobMaker employee notice, running payroll events and supplying the required additional information through their Single Touch Payroll enabled softwar; and
- claim using ATO online services, Online services for business or the Business portal, or through a registered tax or BAS agent.
Employers can check the JobMaker Hiring Credit payment estimator to find how much they may receive: https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/JobMaker-Hiring-Credit-payment-estimator/
6 December 2020 – registrations opened
1 February 2021 – first claim period opens
You can claim JobMaker Hiring Credit payments from 1 February 2021 as long as you have registered and met the other eligibility requirements (including reporting through Single Touch Payroll).
30 April 2021 – first claim period closes
You can only claim JobMaker Hiring Credit for the first JobMaker period until the end of 30 April 2021. You must claim by the end of the claim period to receive JobMaker Hiring Credit for that period.
6 October 2022 – scheme ends
The JobMaker Hiring Credit scheme will end on 6 October 2022