Policy, Advocacy & Industry Engagement
The National Retail Association Policy Team exists to help retail businesses succeed and grow within an ever-changing regulatory environment.
Our team works with a wide range of industry stakeholders – retailers, government, law enforcement, regulatory bodies, shopping centres, community groups, supporting associations and many more – to develop industry-wide policy platforms or positions on issues of importance to the Australian retail sector.
We work with all retailers across the retail and foodservice industry – regardless of size, category or business model – from the largest department chains to family-run pizza shops. Similar issues affect all retailers every day – such as retail crime, product safety and environmental legislation – and we all benefit from sharing intelligence and real-world experience.
We work actively with governments at international, federal, state and local levels to ensure the interests and needs of the Australian retail and services sectors are protected and promoted. Rather than running from inevitable regulatory change, we provide a bridge between retailers and government – facilitating the exchange of ideas and information which ultimately leads to more informed, commercially-aware outcomes for all parties.
We place real-world insight above all else, so we actively engage with retailers in stores, strip precincts and shopping centres.
The National Retail Association Policy Team are in-house experts with industry-specific knowledge and experience, focused on innovative solutions and positive outcomes for retailers.
We tackle the issues you can’t tackle alone.
Update: QLD Waste Levy increase in effect
To assist businesses in dealing with the financial impacts of COVID-19, the Queensland Government deferred the increase of waste levy rates originally scheduled to take effect from 1 July 2020. A six month deferral to 1 January 2021 was approved. For further information about the waste levy, please visit the Queensland Government website at www.qld.gov.au/wastedisposallevy.
2020-21 Christmas & New Year Trading Hours
The National Retail Association has compiled a factsheet outlining Christmas and New Years trading hours for 2020-21.
Extended Trade: Queen’s Birthday (WA)
The Western Australia Government has approved extended trading hours for general retail stores in Perth metropolitan area for the Queen’s Birthday public holiday on Monday 28 September 2020. These stores will be allowed to open from 8am to 6pm. Normal trading hours for these public holidays are 11am to 5pm. Retailers holding small shop certificates […]
Jopkeeper payment period ends
The JobKeeper Payment will be available from 30 March 2020 until 27 September 2020.
Grant: National Product Stewardship Fund – 2020
The objectives of this grant opportunity are to support organisations across Australia to: accelerate work on new industry-led product stewardship schemes, and improve the rates of recycling across new and existing schemes There is $14 million available for this grant opportunity. The minimum grant is $300,000 and the maximum grant is $1 million. You can […]
Engaging Real Retailers
The Policy & Advocacy Team
The NRA is currently involved in a wide range of projects, partnerships, working groups and task forces to represent retailer interests:
- Founder of the National Retail Sustainability Committee
- Partnership with the QLD Government to assist retailers to manage and comply with the QLD bag ban (since 2017)
- Partnership with the WA Government to assist retailers to manage and comply with the WA bag ban (since 2018)
- Partnership with the VIC Government to assist retailers to manage and comply with the VIC bag ban
– Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (DELWP) (since early 2019)
– Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) Victoria (since Nov 2019)
- Partnership with the Department of Health to deliver a retailer engagement and education campaign and online consumer awareness campaign on the ban on cosmetic testing on animals (since July 2020)
- Partnership with the Brisbane City Council to increase reporting of retail crime with the SafeCity Network (since 2018)
- Partnership with Department of Home Affairs to increase shared intelligence, collaboration and vigilance with the Safe Retail Precincts project (since mid-2019)
- Partnership with Maybo to combat retail violence (since June 2020)
- Industry Association Members of the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO)
- Member of 2020 APCO Design Working Group
- Scheme Initiator and Associate Member of the Battery Stewardship Council
- Industry Member of SA Single-Use Plastics Industry Reference Group
- Industry Member of ACT Single-Use Plastics Industry Reference Group
- Industry Member of Qld Single-Use Plastic Stakeholder Advisory Group
- Industry Member of VIC EPA Small Business and Manufacturing Reference Group
- Industry Supporter of Moving the Needle (reduce textile waste) program
- Industry Member of WA Container Deposit Scheme Advisory Group
- Industry Member of TAS Container Deposit Scheme Advisory Group
- Industry Member of VIC Container Deposit Scheme Advisory Group
- Industry Member of past NSW and QLD Container Deposit Scheme Advisory Groups
- Industry Member of Organics Industry Advisory Group
- Industry Member of Organics Industry Standards and Certification Council
- Founder of the National Retail Crime Committee, including 4 state-based committees
- Founder of the National Retail Technical Standards Committee
- Founder of the National Retail Leasing Committee
- Representation on multiple Standards Australia standard working groups eg. button battery safety, fashion labelling
- Industry representative on Federal Home Affairs taskforces eg. COVID Essential Services, TISN