Container Deposit Schemes
The problem with drink containers
- They are the second most commonly littered item (after cigarette butts).
- They pollute the natural environment and litter streets, parks and waterways.
- Nearly all drink containers can be recycled however most end up in landfill, and are not recycled.
Container Deposit Schemes / Container Refund Schemes
Multiple states and territories have introduced schemes which enable and incentivise the recycling of beverage containers. These schemes involve extensive government and business collaboration and are proving to be highly successful in increasing recycling rates.ACT SCHEME NSW SCHEME NT SCHEME QLD SCHEME SA SCHEME
National Retail Association Sustainability Committee
Sustainability is a broad and vastly different proposition for the various channels of retail, however all have a commitment to the community and social responsibility.
The National Retail Association (NRA) Sustainability Committee seeks to minimise impact on the environment, whilst maintaining reputation and meeting the current and future expectations of customers.
The NRA’s Sustainability Committee aims to:
- bring together experts from across the retail industry, government and associated stakeholders to continue the momentum of positive sustainability regulations;
- consider the impact of retail activities upon sustainability, the community and environment;
- consider the effectiveness of sustainability initiatives, such as policy and industry mechanisms;
- contribute expertise to ensure sustainability policy is commercially viable and delivers sustainable outcomes;
- provide a non-competitive forum for key industry and government stakeholders to network and share insight;
- engage in ongoing dialogue between peers and specialists via the NRA’s private Sustainability Committee Linkedin Group.