This morning, Premier Steven Marshall announced that South Australia will enter a minimum 7-day lockdown from 6pm, Tuesday 20 July 2021 until 6pm, Saturday 27 July, 2021.
All residents in those areas need to stay at home unless it is for essential work, providing healthcare for a vulnerable person, essential shopping, medical reasons (including vaccination and testing) or to exercise in your local neighbourhood. Exercise must be within 2.5 kilometres of home and only for up to 90 minutes per day.
Support for businesses is expected to be announced tomorrow. NRA CEO Dominique Lamb has called for more support as lockdowns affect retail.
Is retail trade restricted during lockdown?
YES. Under South Australia’s Level 4 restrictions, the following places are deemed essential retail and are permitted to open:
- a grocery store, supermarket, butcher, bakery, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger , including delivery services associated with such stores;
- an indoor or outdoor market, but only for the purpose of the sale of groceries or fresh food and not for the purposes of the sale or supply of food or
beverages prepared on site (whether for consumption on site or take away);
- a restaurant, café, bar, hotel, club or winery but only for the purposes of the provision of takeaway food or beverages or a meal delivery service;
- a bottle shop;
- financial institution;
- a post office;
- hardware store;
- petrol station;
- distribution centre;
- retail good workers supporting the operation of online or phone ordering and collection or delivery of retail orders;
- a pet store;
- a veterinary clinic and related services (such as on farm visits and animal care services), where a genuine animal welfare issue exists or for the
purpose of artificial insemination of an animal;
- an abattoir, meat, seafood or poultry processing plant.
Personal care services such as hairdressers, barbershops, beauty and nail salons, tattoo parlours, wellness centres/day spas/massage parlours, saunas/bathhouses and any other place which beauty therapy/tanning/waxing/piercing/body modification takes place not permitted.
Level 5 Essential Workers List
Who is required to wear a mask?
In the affected regions face masks must be worn indoors, outdoors and on public transport, if social distancing cannot be observed.
Specifically, face masks must be worn in the following settings
- shopping (retail, supermarkets and shopping centres)
- on public/shared transport and waiting areas for public/shared transport
- weddings and funerals
- while waiting for takeaway food
- at workplaces.
Children 12 years and under and people affected by a medical condition are exempt.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind all members that while you must take reasonable steps to advise customers to wear a mask in your store (ie signage, staff on entrance) it is not the responsibility of retailers to enforce these rules. Should a customer refuse this lawful direction, please refer the matter to security or police.